Search This Blog

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chariots Of Fire

One of my all time favorite movies is Chariots of Fire. Eric Little is having a discussion with his sister about running or going to the mission field when he says, "When I run, I feel Gods pleasure." That is how I feel on the back on a sled, running dogs.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010
I arrived in Atlanta and discovered a voicemail from my sister. She was glad I was back and safe but wondered why I would want to continue doing this when I was gifted in helping others medically and needed in Haiti. Maybe it was time to quit chasing a dream and get back to work. I called her on the way to Chattanooga in the shuttle and had a long talk. The conversations behind me hushed as I talked to her about her concerns. This training had been planned for the last five years and was on track. God was not surprised by the recent earthquake in Haiti and knew it would happen before I started planning to run the Iditarod. My talents did not lie in the sport of driving dogs, but Doug and Melanie were working with me teaching and equipping me for the tasks ahead. I was progressing well. I had already considered the possibility of going to Haiti and felt guilty about not going. I had been comforted by several verses that came unbidden into my mind. “He who puts his hand to the plow and turns back is not worthy of the kingdom.” “We walk by faith and not by sight.” I felt secure that I was doing what I was supposed to be doing. God could be glorified by my efforts in this sport as much as he could be glorified in my going to Haiti for disaster relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment